Mattermost Peer-to-Peer Forum

Unable to ping database during installation - Solved

I’m doing a new installation on a RHEL 7.4 server, I’ve had to manually install postgres-9.2.24 because of company procedures and when I’m testing whether the mattermost server works properly, I get the error that it is unable to ping the db :

{“level”:“info”,“ts”:1553271398.8555436,“caller”:“utils/i18n.go:83”,“msg”:“Loaded system translations for ‘en’ from ‘/opt/mattermost/i18n/en.json’”}
{“level”:“info”,“ts”:1553271398.8557446,“caller”:“app/server_app_adapters.go:58”,“msg”:“Server is initial izing…”}
{“level”:“info”,“ts”:1553271398.8631089,“caller”:“sqlstore/supplier.go:215”,“msg”:“Pinging SQL master dat abase”}
{“level”:“error”,“ts”:1553271398.8687565,“caller”:“sqlstore/supplier.go:227”,“msg”:“Failed to ping DB ret rying in 10 seconds err=pq: Ident authentication failed for user “mmuser””}

Now, I’ve checked whether I can connect to the db with psql and I can, but it completely disregards the password I’ve created for mmuser. I can connect to it by typing anything when it prompts me for the pw… I’ve followed every step and modified the json config file and everything.

Thanks for your help.

Hi @shea_bb9,

A response from a community member:

What’s your Mattermost server version? What’s your DataSource configuration value? How did you figure out that Mattermost " completely disregards the password [you]'ve created "?

I’ve installed version 5.9 and the DataSource configuration is this one for postgres :
“DriverName”: “postgres”,
“DataSource”: “postgres://mmuser:innovation123@127.0.0.1:5432/mattermost?sslmode=disable&connect_timeout=10”,

As I said in the post, I’ve tried to connect to the db with psql and typed the wrong password and could still access the mattermost db even when I typed random things instead of the password.