Switching to a channel with unread messages displays historical chat instead of scrolling directly to the oldest unread message.
Steps to reproduce
- Use the mouse to select a channel with unread messages.
- Alternatively switch to a channel with unread messages by using the quick channel switcher accessed via Command+k.
- After the channel switch occurs, observe the contents of the channel’s message display and compare to the results listed below under expected vs observed behavior.
- This occurs for channels where you just read the newest message seconds ago.
- This occurs for public and private channels as well as direct messages.
- This occurs with Mattermost desktop client v4.4.0 and server v5.19 (it occurred on prior versions as well).
- This issue does not always occur on every switch, but is frequent enough to impact productivity.
When switching to a channel with unreads, the window should scroll down to the oldest unread message for your initial view.
Sometimes when switching to a channel with unreads, the window will display chat messages which have already been read several days ago. The top of the message window includes three animated horizontal loading dots and no subsequent change occurs until you take action. At this point you can scroll down to reach the unread messages or apply the workaround referenced below.
Jumping out and back into the channel displays the newest message as all messages are now considered read. This is accomplished using keyboard shortcuts of Command+[ followed by Command+].