[SOLVED] Plugin execution right after upload

Hi! I uploaded a custom plugin, but got the following error on activation :

unable to start plugin: myPluginId: fork/exec plugins/myPluginId/plugin: permission denied

This is not the same as described in the doc because the write access right was already given to the folder.
I am not admin on the Unix machine on which Mattermost is installed and asking the admin to give the plugin file exec right is obviously not the normal solution, so what did we miss to make the plugin ready to execute after upload ?
Thank you in advance, this new plugin features looks really useful!

Can you share a bit more about what the installation looks like on the server?

Is the plugins directory owned by the same user that Mattermost is run as?

Does the executable have the “executable” bit set in the tarball that you’re uploading?

If you could get the output of the ls -Rla ./plugins command from your Mattermost installation, that would be really helpful.

Does the executable have the “executable” bit set in the tarball that you’re uploading?
No it doesn’t… :man_facepalming: I’m currently coding on a Windows computer so the executable bit isn’t set automatically even though it can be executed locally. Add some Unix magic and this issue is corrected.
Now that I can install the plugin, I can get to debug why the custom slash command isn’t added.
Thank you for your help!

1 Like