[SOLVED] Is there a way to customize default emojis?

Hello!

I would like to know if it’s possible to custom the default emojis.

Example: for :D, I would like to keep the :D but I want to change the displayed picture of it.

1 Like

Hi @DarckCrystale,

Thanks for your question.

You can create your own custom emoji but clicking on the “3-dot main menu”, selecting “Custom Emoji” and then creating the emoji in the modal that opens up.

Your administrator will need to allow creation of custom emoji in the system console though.

Does this help?

I think it’s about changing the standard set of emoji.
Our users also have lamentation to them, but include the ability to create their own do not want.
Is it possible to change the standard collection of emoji?
Or lock the standard in favor of their own?

1 Like

Hi @lindy65!

We use custom emojis, but I would like to edit the default one (like @danilvoe said), so your answer does not help me :sob:

Hi @DarckCrystale and @danilvoe,

Thanks for your feedback,

At the moment it’s not possible to edit the emoji set but perhaps you’d like to help add a suggestion to our feature ideas forum where you, and others, can vote up to 10 times to increase the popularity of the suggestion?

Thanks!

I’ve done it, you can find the suggestion here: https://mattermost.uservoice.com/forums/306457-general/suggestions/19433266-edit-default-emojis

Thank you @lindy65! :heart:

Thanks @DarckCrystale,

I’ll close this issue off here as we’ll track with the UserVoice issue.

I notice this issue/feature still hasn’t been solved/implemented, so I thought I’d share the hack I’m using for the moment, in case others find it useful too.

My Mattermost installation is located at /var/www/mattermost, and inside that is a client/emoji folder with one PNG file for each image. So if I replace each of those images with one of my choice, they’ll get replaced in the Mattermost frontend. (Of course, I’m not sure what’ll happen during an update; one may need to repeat the process again).

Replacing each PNG file with an icon of my choice is tedious, but luckily Google’s Noto Emoji repo includes pre-generated icons. So here’s what I did to replace Mattemost’s default emoji with the Noto ones:

1. Clone the Noto Emoji repo: git clone https://github.com/googlefonts/noto-emoji
  2. Move Mattermost’s default emoji directory to a backup location: sudo mv -i /var/www/mattermost/client/emoji /var/www/mattermost/client/emoji.bak
  3. Copy over Noto’s emoji. We’re using the 72x72 versions since the 64x64 size that Mattermost uses by default isn’t available. Note that we are copying the 72 folder, and renaming it to emoji in the process: sudo cp -i noto-emoji/png/72 /var/www/mattermost/client/emoji
  4. Get into our new emoji directory, in preparation for our next and final step: cd /var/www/mattermost/client/emoji
  5. The Noto files have a prefix of emoji_u instead of just the plain Unicode number: for example, instead of “1f642.png”, it’s labelled “emoji_u1f642.png”. We need to rename all these files to exclude the “emoji_u” part. If you have the rename command installed, this can be done using: sudo rename 's/emoji_u(.*).png/$1.png/' *.png

And that’s it! Now if you reload the Mattermost page, you’ll see the new emoji pop up right away. (If it doesn’t work, you may have to clear your browser’s cache or something first).

Hope that helps, and if anyone tries this, let me know if it works :slight_smile:

1 Like