[Solved] Channels disappear after upgrading

After upgrading from 5.31 to 5.37, the list of channels disappears from the left sidebar:

If I use Ctrl+K to display the channels, only the “recent” ones are displayed — if I type some letters, though, all channels containing these letters are displayed. If I “filter by unread”, the unread channels are displayed, and disappear again when choosing “show all channels”.

I tried to revert to 5.31, and the channels reappear, but not when I use Ctrl+K: the list is blank (can’t show image as I am a new user).

I read this post, and tried to solve the issue in MySQL (as I use version 8.0.27) by altering tables, but without success.

Any idea?

1 Like

After digging deeper in the logs, it seems to me that the collation mentioned by @hmhealey and @Ilya can be responsible:

2021-11-11T14:08:42.138+0100 debug mlog/log.go:230 Failed to insert record to database. {“path”: “/api/v4/users/zsip74njh3bitdo5uj64u47owy/teams/7ysu5473itgqtngty7yk6pxy5h/channels/categories”, “request_id”: “55bwhbdc9pd6xpe7yfg4qqwg1o”, “ip_addr”: “10.195.197.96”, “user_id”: “zsip74njh3bitdo5uj64u47owy”, “method”: “GET”, “err_where”: “GetSidebarCategories”, “http_code”: 404, “err_details”: “resource: SidebarCategories id: userId=zsip74njh3bitdo5uj64u47owy,teamId=7ysu5473itgqtngty7yk6pxy5h”}

And when I try to change the collation with

(...)
alter table SharedChannels CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_0900_ai_ci;
alter table SidebarCategories CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_0900_ai_ci;
alter table SidebarChannels CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_0900_ai_ci;
(...)

I have the errors:

(...)
ERROR 3664 (HY000): Failed to delete SDI 'mattermost.SharedChannels' in tablespace 'mattermost/SharedChannels'.
ERROR 1025 (HY000): Error on rename of './mattermost/SidebarCategories' to './mattermost/#sql2-4ad-ea' (errno: 197 - Tablespace cannot be accessed)
ERROR 1025 (HY000): Error on rename of './mattermost/SidebarChannels' to './mattermost/#sql2-4ad-ea' (errno: 197 - Tablespace cannot be accessed)
(...)

Other tables are correctly altered. What should be the correct syntax?

I figured out how to solve the problem:

1. started from the previous backup of the database (*.sql) and manually edited the collation of the tables
  2. dropped all the tables and imported the tables from the backup
  3. followed the upgrade process with (almost) no problem

Still don’t know why this mix between various collations appeared, and why it was impossible for me to alter the tables.

1 Like

I have the exact same symptoms after an upgrade to the currently newest available major version.

The difference is, that I have a PostgreSQL database.

Is this problem applicable to PostgreSQL?

At least the symptoms are precisely the same you experienced.

Another issue with my situation is, that I don’t know how to reproduce the log messages, displaying the error with the sidebar. I have seen them a while back, but those logs aren’t accessible, anymore.

Opened my own thread: