Slack import fails in Mattermost 1.3?

Hi all-

I just tried importing from Slack and got some strange results: channels were created, but no users were created, and no posts were added (I’m guessing that’s a side effect of no users?). I did this on our production server, but on a new test team. I created the team, and in the System Console my account was labeled Team Admin. The server logs have a lot of these messages, but nothing related to account creation:

[2016/01/06 13:38:03 EST] [WARN] Unsupported post type: message, channel_join
[2016/01/06 13:38:03 EST] [WARN] Slack bot posts are not imported yet

Oh, could the failure to create accounts be related to Mattermost’s “Enable User Creation” setting? I turned that off when setting up the production server, figuring I would send invites to team members…

For the record, I’m running Mattermost 1.3.0 build 4896.

Thanks!

Following up, no, it’s not just the “Enable User Creation” setting. Changing that setting, creating a new team, and trying the import again produces the same result.

… and now I have two junk test teams. How do I delete them? I tried

./platform -permanent_delete_team -team_name="foobar2"

It asks if I backed up the database (I did), there’s a brief pause, and the team remains in the database. Just not my day I guess…

Bump. Has anyone been able to import Slack conversations recently?

It should also ask Are you sure you want to delete the team XXX? All data will be permanently deleted? (YES/NO): did you not get the 2nd question?

Hi @Sajuka, appreciate your report, could we ask your help:

1. Setting up a Mattermost instance with just default settings and attempt to run your Slack import?

2. If issues persist, is there a way you could remove any information you feel confidential from your Slack import file and share it so that the issue you’re experiencing can be reproduced?

There could be an issue with either Slack changing the format in which is stores your data or it could be an issue with the Slack import procedure, or certain configurations.

1 and 2 would help narrow down the possibilities.

No I didn’t get the second question. Just “Did you back up the database (Yes/No):”, then a pause, and then the process exited. Is there a way to get a more verbose error/stack trace?

Thanks!

Can you try again and make sure to type YES in all caps to both questions?

You should also see exit status 0 if successful. If you’re seeing exit status 1 to any question then the response wasn’t recognized.

Here’s what I see

$ ./platform -permanent_delete_team -team_name="z-z-zhxacx9i7tfhxqb85pmswwkwrca"
Have you performed a database backup? (YES/NO): YES
Are you sure you want to delete the team z-z-zhxacx9i7tfhxqb85pmswwkwrca?  All data will be permanently deleted? (YES/NO): YES
[01/12/16 10:22:13] [WARN] Attempting to permanently delete team z-z-zhxacx9i7tfhxqb85pmswwkwrca id=11awp31oyir8bmfjhit51ogo6h
[01/12/16 10:22:13] [WARN] Attempting to permanently delete account dyskysawhjytpmutbaoffdmfqwcorey+test@test.com id=1i571dccybnb9cb4fe8osjn5by
[01/12/16 10:22:13] [WARN] Permanently deleted account dyskysawhjytpmutbaoffdmfqwcorey+test@test.com id=1i571dccybnb9cb4fe8osjn5by
[01/12/16 10:22:13] [WARN] Permanently deleted team z-z-zhxacx9i7tfhxqb85pmswwkwrca id=11awp31oyir8bmfjhit51ogo6h

And not answering in all caps

./platform -permanent_delete_team -team_name="z-z-nqpa4z5xc7ncupayjpm64na34ea"
Have you performed a database backup? (YES/NO): yes
exit status 1

[quote=“it33, post:5, topic:719, full:true”]
Hi @Sajuka, appreciate your report, could we ask your help:

Setting up a Mattermost instance with just default settings and attempt to run your Slack import?[/quote]

In a stock a development environment I checked out the release-1.3 branch, did a test import, and the behavior is the same as my production system (no users created, channels created, no posts added).

I do see a few more messages in my terminal:

[01/12/16 7:57:04] [DEBG] /api/v1/teams/import_team
[01/12/16 7:57:10] [WARN] Unsupported post type: message, channel_join
[01/12/16 7:57:10] [DEBG] User: U08K1GKRA does not exist!
[01/12/16 7:57:10] [DEBG] User: U08K2HWAC does not exist!

The “user does not exist” line occur a lot, possibly for every message?

[quote=“it33, post:5, topic:719, full:true”]
If issues persist, is there a way you could remove any information you feel confidential from your Slack import file and share it so that the issue you’re experiencing can be reproduced?

There could be an issue with either Slack changing the format in which is stores your data or it could be an issue with the Slack import procedure, or certain configurations.[/quote]
I can probably remove most of the channels while leaving some of the off-topic discussions, but I’d still rather not post team members’ emails to the public internet. Is there a way to share the modified file with a small group of Mattermost developers?

Update (Jan 13): I’ve now removed all sensitive channels from the Slack file, but it still contains user names and email addresses. Importing it into Mattermost has the same behavior. How should I share the file with the MM devs?

Thanks!

You’re right, I was apparently using “yes” lowercase. All caps fixes the problem. Thanks for your help!

@it33 I have a sanitized Slack file that reproduces the bug, how should I get it to you/the Mattermost team?

Thanks.

Thanks @Sajuka, if the confidential information is removed, propose just opening a GitHub issue with repro steps, similar to this one: https://github.com/mattermost/platform/issues/1518.

Also, to confirm there are no validation issues, could we ask your help to test importing the sanitized version of the file into Slack before submitting?

Good idea. The Slack import is running now, we’ll see what it looks like shortly (it already read the made up names and email addresses from the sanitized files, so I think it will be fine). I’ll create a Github issue once I know the file is good.

Thanks!

Thanks @Sajuka, highly appreciate your help narrowing down the issue!

And here’s the Github issue: https://github.com/mattermost/platform/issues/1931

Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks!