Mattermost Peer-to-Peer Forum

Push Notifications stopped working


#1

Summary

A week ago one of my DNS servers crahshed. For a few days the mattermost server couldn’t resolve the push notification server. I changed the DNS to google for now and i can now resolve and use curl to get to push-test.mattermost.com. Every time i send a test message the log shows

app/notification_push.go:280",“msg”:“Device push reported as error for UserId=eu7d75esd7dgtfuqpmx517rk8a SessionId=unm4n1fjutfbubbqrsat3mb7yo message=Post http://push-test dot mattermost dot com/api/v1/send_push: dial tcp: i/o timeout”,“user_id”:“eu7d75esd7dgtfuqpmx517rk8a”}

Steps to reproduce

How can we reproduce the issue (what version are you using?)
I updated to version 5.7 in an attempt to correct but that didn’t help.

Expected behavior

Observed behavior

What did you see happen? Please include relevant error messages and/or screenshots.

Error message in details.


#2

Facing same issue from past few hours
Before that it was working fine and no changes have been done since few months.

My Mattermost Version is 5.3.1

My Push notification server is http://push-test.mattermost.com


#3

We are also facing the problem.

Mattermost Version: 5.7.0
Database Schema Version: 5.7.0
Database: mysql

This appears to have started a few days ago.


#5

The test pushsystem is now https://

https://docs.mattermost.com/overview/faq.html#tpns


#6

Thanks @JtheBAB

This resolved the issue. The default URL was not working as it was pre-applied when we use default TPNS. I guess this was changed 1 day ago in the backend.


#7

Hi, everyone.

On top of the answer provided by @JtheBAB, I would like to share additional details from @jasonblais here.

  • This issue affects Mattermost 5.6 and later
  • The redirect from http to https is added to allow servers with http entered in their config.json file will have their push notifications continue to work
  • The workaround in the meantime is to go to your config.json file and update PushNotificationServer to https://push-test.mattermost.com

For reference, please refer to the following ticket - Create a redirect from http://push-test.mattermost.com to https://push-test.mattermost.com push proxy server


#8

@adanial I don’t think its 5.6 or later issue.
As i faced this in 5.3.1 & got resolved as per suggestion by @JtheBAB


#9

Thanks, @yatin Noted. @jasonblais will have the ticket description updated, I believe.


#10

Here is the ticket that included the change: https://mattermost.atlassian.net/browse/MM-12302

Re-reading the ticket, @yatin, you’re correct. The version assigned to the ticket was 5.6 as we made the change in December, but it would affect all versions.

We’ll have the redirect @adanial mentioned above soon, so hopefully other users will also not be impacted soon.


#11

Changing over to https worked for my server. Thanks.