Public Mattermost for Large Community

Has anyone tried or considered using Mattermost for a large online web community, as an alternative to an irc network/server.

There are obviously challenges since things like public views and more granulated user permissions (i.e. channel specific moderator privileges) are not available. However, I think these would not be extremely difficult to implement.

Are there any reasons this would not be a good idea?

1 Like

Mattermost is not built for scale. Mattermost chose a strategy last year to become a ‘on-prem’ solution for small teams - which doesn’t make sense to me - but that’s what was chosen it seems based on this comment Is Redis still used?

Thus, Mattermost for a large online web community wouldn’t scale at all OR cost tons of resources to keep it up. Think 10s or 100s of MySQL or Postgres servers (depending on your audience numbers and usage)

I have a question open for exactly this reason Scaling Mattermost for SaaS

Hoping someone will respond with some thoughts, although considering it’s been 3 months and no one has answered your question so I don’t have high hopes.

1 Like

Hi @max6387, sorry for missing this thread, and thanks to @atig for the bump,

If you’re looking for an alternative to IRC, Mattermost could be a strong choice. Using Matterircd your existing IRC users could continue using their IRC clients and connect with Mattermost, while community members who want convenience features like support for mobile devices, searching through history, sharing files, setting up integrations, etc.

I think I might have heard about channel-specific moderator permissions casually, but can’t find a post for it in the feature idea forum. Please feel free to add one so it can be discussed and upvoted by the community?

Regarding scale, even though Mattermost is explicitly built for “teams”, the Mattermost platform should be able to support tens of thousands of users on a single server with appropriate hardware.

My assumption is this would satisfy 90%+ of large IRC communities.

Please see FAQ for our current views on SaaS.