Notifications delay on ios

i have installed mattermost on my computer and on my iphone. the notifications on my iphone are always delayed (between 2-12 minutes) after i get the messages on my computer. i have turned on background actualization but it seems it is not actualizing often enough. it doesn’t work like other messengers. does anyone have any idea what could be the reason?

1 Like

What Mattermost mobile app and server versions are you on?

Hello, @lene

Besides the information requested by @amy.blais, I would like to also share the article that we have written for delay in push notifications on mobile apps - Why do I sometimes see a delay in receiving a push notification?.

Unless you are referring to the real time notification between the desktop and mobile app, I have tested this in the following environment:

Server

• Mattermost Server 5.21.0

Desktop

• Mac OS 10.15.3
  • Mattermost Mac Desktop App 4.4.0

Mobile

• iOS 13.4
  • Mattermost iOS App 1.29.0

Messages that I send and received when having both apps open side by side is real time. I.e. text / image / attachments that I send or receive from / to both apps will appear immediately.

Can you share more information on this background actualization feature so I can check on it as well? Any articles / documentation that you refer to will help.

good morning,

app version: 1.29.0 (build 276)
server version: 5.7.0.
mac os: 10.11.6
mattermost mac desktop app: 4.4.0 (4.4.0.5682)

thanks for your help!

Would you be open to upgrading your server to a more recent version? Our most recent version is v5.21.0.

unfortunately i can’t since it is not my server but the office’s server. do you have any idea what the problem could be or do you also think it might have to do something with the things that are described in the article of ahmaddanial? i tried out a few more things and i think i noticed mattermost on the phone actualizes quicker, when the app is already started. but could also be a coincidence.

Hello, @lene

The article I shared earlier explains the possibility of the delay due to either APNS or FCM. Besides the suggestion of upgrading, can you please provide more context on what you actually mean by the mobile app actualizing quicker when it has started? Can you provide screen recording / screen shots to this?

Hi, I have the same issue on Android. Sometimes I receive the notifications immediately and sometimes it takes about 10 minutes.

Hi, @amirdrift

Due to inconsistency, can you please confirm if you were connected to your network service provider or Wifi when you notice the delay in push notification?

Is it happening on very specific time frame in a day or does it just happen randomly? Which version of Mattermost Server and Android app are you currently on?

I’m also experiencing the push notification delay issue on iOS 14.6 with current server version!

Mattermost Beta Xcode version 1.45.0
REF_MATTERMOST_SERVER=release-5.36
REF_MATTERMOST_WEBAPP=release-5.36

When sending any direct message on the browser, the notification on the iOS device will get delayed around 1-2 minutes every single message!

It is possible to get the notification in real time?

Setup up guide

Please help!
Thanks

Hi, @softmastx

While I understand that you faced the issue when you reported it 8 days ago, I would like to know if you are still facing this issue even after you have the stable version of 1.45.0 mobile app?

Also, you mentioned that the issue happens for iOS specifically. Did you observe the same issue on Android app too?

Were you also connected to Wifi or the network service provider when the delay happens? Does it only happen for DM or every type of push notification?

Hi, @ahmaddanial

Properly config AppGroupIdentifier also solved this issue!
https://forum.mattermost.com/t/ios-app-forces-login-on-app-open-every-time/10198/5

Thanks

2 Likes

thanks its helpful the issue is solved