Mobile push notifications

Hi,

I’m using a self-hosted Mattermost instance and I would need to activate push notifications for mobiles, from what I see I will need to set up a push proxy for this.
I have a small question about this, will this work with the official app on AppStore or do I need to compile a custom Mattermost app ?

Thank you in advance

Hi there, @Guizmo

Based on the Hosted Push Notification Service documentation we have here:

Both TPNS and HPNS only work with the Mattermost Apple App Store and Google Play apps. If you have compiled the apps yourselves, you must also host your own Mattermost push proxy server.

In this case, you will only have to host your own push proxy if you decide to compile the mobile app, unless you are planning to subscribe to the Hosted Push Notification Service which is available if you go the the E10 or higher offering.

Hi @Guizmo @ahmaddanial so basically the answer is no, right? :slight_smile:

If you’re using the self-hosted Mattermost instance and want to use the Mattermost app, which you can, you are not going to get push notifications.

If you want push notifications for your self-hosted Mattermost instance, you are going to have to host your own Mattermost push service, which means you can still use the mattermost app on the app store but your not getting any push notifications.

In order to get push notifications, you have to compile your own app, host your own push service and have a self-hosted instance.

Am I missing something here?

Hi, @ykguler

You can still use the default push notification server as mentioned in the documentation:

The default Push Notification Server address is https://push.mattermost.com and the server is hosted inside the United States. Mattermost also offers a push notification server hosted in Germany. If you wish to use that server, please update the Push Notification Server address to https://hpns-de.mattermost.com/.

So, no issues if you are able to configure your instance to reach out to the default server if you don’t plan on deploying your own.