We have been looking for a new chat framework that we would could professional developers on to make a solution urgently needed. I’ve personally tried to feel about the traction, ideas and vision the last three days. But, while the technology is solid, I must say I am a bit disappointed… although that might have been due to too high expectations.
My biggest gripe is it seems that the threshold to contribute is quite confusing:
- there is this forum with unsorted topics ( https://forum.mattermost.org/ ) - nice, friendly and essential, but not enough structure to get things done
- there are multiple MM channels ( https://pre-release.mattermost.com ) - confusing stuff
- Github issues, normally used to mention things that go not as expected, MM uses them for code breakers only it seems (?)
- The Atlassian project plans ( https://mattermost.atlassian.net/ )
- Voting channel ( https://mattermost.uservoice.com/forums/306457-general ) Seems I can only vote 3x ? And that for any issues. So, in Github when I posted an issue, I consider a usability bug, I’ve been asked to make this into a feature request. Which of course I can not do… I dont wanna waste my precious votes on bugs…
So… a bit of a mess and strange that in this Slack dominated world, there is still no coherent Open Source alternative. We are pondering about our next move. Fork MM and do more ourselves? Go for MM and hope for the best? Something else? Ohh… help ))