Mattermost.service failed

I try to install mattermost on my Server (ProLiant MicroServer Gen8, VmWare Esxi 6.0; Ubuntu 18.04). I use these Tutorials to install Mattermost on Ubuntu:

https://idroot.net/linux/install-mattermost-ubuntu-18-04-lts/ and /tutorials/install-lamp-stack-ubuntu-18-04-lts/

If i use the command: “systemctl start mattermost.service” they get me this answer:

Job for mattermost.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See “systemctl status mattermost.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.

If i’m looking at systemctl status mattermost.service, so they tell me this:
● mattermost.service - Mattermost
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/mattermost.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2018-08-20 15:06:06 UTC; 5s ago
Process: 4146 ExecStart=/opt/mattermost/bin/mattermost (code=exited, status=217/USER)
Main PID: 4146 (code=exited, status=217/USER)

Aug 20 15:06:06 mattermost systemd[4146]: mattermost.service: Failed at step USER spawning /opt/mattermost/bin/mattermost: No such process
Aug 20 15:06:06 mattermost systemd[1]: mattermost.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=217/USER
Aug 20 15:06:06 mattermost systemd[1]: mattermost.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Aug 20 15:06:06 mattermost systemd[1]: Failed to start Mattermost.

If i’m looking at journalctl -xe, so they tell me this:
– Unit mattermost.service has begun starting up.
Aug 20 15:06:57 mattermost systemd[4155]: mattermost.service: Failed to determine user credentials: No such process
Aug 20 15:06:57 mattermost systemd[4155]: mattermost.service: Failed at step USER spawning /opt/mattermost/bin/mattermost: No such process
– Subject: Process /opt/mattermost/bin/mattermost could not be executed
– Defined-By: systemd
– Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support

– The process /opt/mattermost/bin/mattermost could not be executed and failed.

– The error number returned by this process is 3.
Aug 20 15:06:57 mattermost systemd[1]: mattermost.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=217/USER
Aug 20 15:06:57 mattermost systemd[1]: mattermost.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Aug 20 15:06:57 mattermost systemd[1]: Failed to start Mattermost.
– Subject: Unit mattermost.service has failed
– Defined-By: systemd

– Unit mattermost.service has failed.

– The result is RESULT.

I’m very confused, so I don’t know, why its not work.

Can someone help me pls? I don’t find the answer for my problem.

Hi @Luphina, thank you for reaching out.

Here are some of my initial observations

Would you be able to try the installation with one of these versions?

No, i’m use another Tutorial, cause i have Ubuntu 18.04.
So i thought, that i cannot use the Tutorial on your page.

So can i install mattermost on Ubuntu 18.04 or are you only supporting Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04?

Hi @Luphina, I found this Ubuntu 18.04 guide that seems more detailed than the one you linked above. E.g. it lists pre-requisites such as setting up Nginx and SSL certificate: https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-deploy-mattermost-on-ubuntu-18-04/.

Let me know if the guide is any better - if not, I’ll ask our developers for more help on this.

Hey,

thank you for this tutorial. Mattermost are running now on Ubuntu 18.04. But i use Apache2 instead of Nginx.

So now i have other problems with the WebRTC.

I have the button for calls, but it always says “there was a problem connecting the video call”. I’m reading some topics, cause i don’t resolve it.

Thanks for your help.

Hi @Luphina,

Can you help take a look at our docs related to WebRTC: https://docs.mattermost.com/deployment/webrtc.html?

Can you also help take a look at this thread for troubleshooting tips: How to start WebRTC?.

Some tips include:

• adding this value to the config.json "StunURI": "stun:stun.l.google.com:19302" , without updating the Janus server or any code changes.
  • setting the nat mapping in the janus cfg.

Hi @amy.blais

Yeah, i take this docs, but the WebRTC doesn’t work. I have adding this value to the config.json.
I don’t know, where the mistake is.

Hi @Luphina,

WebRTC is in beta and is unfortunately known to have some issues - can you help review this page and send us any logs / Console errors and any additional relevant details about your environment: https://docs.mattermost.com/process/support.html?

Hi @amy.blais,

What OS and version is the Mattermost server installed? Ubuntu 18.04
What is your Mattermost server version? 5.2
Can you send a snippet of the Mattermost server logs around the time of the incident? No logs
Are you running Mattermost in a container and/or using container orchestration? Docker
Database Issues MySQL

Mattermost is running, i have only issues with webRTC. The Button to call with Member is available, but the connections failed.

Config.json

"ServiceSettings": {

"SiteURL": "",

"WebsocketURL": "",

"LicenseFileLocation": "",

"ListenAddress": ":8065",

"ConnectionSecurity": "",

"TLSCertFile": "",

"TLSKeyFile": "",

"UseLetsEncrypt": false,

"LetsEncryptCertificateCacheFile": "./config/letsencrypt.cache",

"Forward80To443": false,

"ReadTimeout": 300,

"WriteTimeout": 300,

"MaximumLoginAttempts": 10,

"GoroutineHealthThreshold": -1,

"GoogleDeveloperKey": "",

"EnableOAuthServiceProvider": false,

"EnableIncomingWebhooks": true,

"EnableOutgoingWebhooks": true,

"EnableCommands": true,

"EnableOnlyAdminIntegrations": true,

"EnablePostUsernameOverride": false,

"EnablePostIconOverride": false,

"EnableLinkPreviews": false,

"EnableTesting": false,

"EnableDeveloper": false,

"EnableSecurityFixAlert": true,

"EnableInsecureOutgoingConnections": true,

"AllowedUntrustedInternalConnections": "",

"EnableMultifactorAuthentication": false,

"EnforceMultifactorAuthentication": false,

"EnableUserAccessTokens": false,

"AllowCorsFrom": "",

"AllowCookiesForSubdomains": false,

"SessionLengthWebInDays": 30,

"SessionLengthMobileInDays": 30,

"SessionLengthSSOInDays": 30,

"SessionCacheInMinutes": 10,

"SessionIdleTimeoutInMinutes": 0,

"WebsocketSecurePort": 443,

"WebsocketPort": 80,

"WebserverMode": "gzip",

"EnableCustomEmoji": false,

"EnableEmojiPicker": true,

"EnableGifPicker": false,

"GfycatApiKey": "2_KtH_W5",

"GfycatApiSecret": "3wLVZPiswc3DnaiaFoLkDvB4X0IV6CpMkj4tf2inJRsBY6-FnkT08zGmppWFgeof",

"RestrictCustomEmojiCreation": "all",

"RestrictPostDelete": "all",

"AllowEditPost": "always",

"PostEditTimeLimit": -1,

"TimeBetweenUserTypingUpdatesMilliseconds": 5000,

"EnablePostSearch": true,

"EnableUserTypingMessages": true,

"EnableChannelViewedMessages": true,

"EnableUserStatuses": true,

"ExperimentalEnableAuthenticationTransfer": true,

"ClusterLogTimeoutMilliseconds": 2000,

Do you need more logs?

This is the message from Mattermost, if i call a member “There was a problem connecting the video call”

Console: Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error)
If i open the …:8065/api/v4/webrtc/token: {“id”:“api.context.session_expired.app_error”,“message”:“Ungültige oder abgelaufene Sitzung, melden Sie sich erneut an.”,“detailed_error”:"",“request_id”:“5z4f8azb83fc3qrszcgkroqzcr”,“status_code”:401}

Hi @Luphina!

One of our community member’s just posted some helpful tips here Video/audio calls - let me know if any of the tips help?

1 Like