Mattermost v4.4 supports plugins, which allow users to customize and extend the platform by adding specific features.
There are three scenarios in which you would consider using a plugin:
- When you want to customize the Mattermost user interface
- When you want to extend Mattermost functionality to meet a specific, complex requirement
- When you want to build integrations that are managed by your Mattermost server
There are two main types of plugins:
- Client plugins: Allows you to customize the Mattermost user interface, by overriding elements such as the profile popover, channel header or the sidebar. For a sample plugin, see hovercardexample.
- Server plugins: Makes it easier to integrate with third-party systems such as JIRA, GitLab or Jenkins. A sample plugin for a video and audio call system such as Zoom and Skype for Business is currently in progress.
Later in upcoming releases, the Enterprise Edition will support server plugins that enable you to extend Mattermost functionality to meet a specific, complex requirement such as profiling performance metrics, and to implement highly customized compliance rules for information barriers.
If you have any feedback on the plugin framework, let us know by replying to this forum post! All feedback is welcome.
For more information on plugins, see our documentation.