Don't send messages content in e-mail notifications

When a user is IDLE and receives a private message or gets highlighted (with @username) she/he gets an e-mail notification that contains the content of the message.

Is it possible to disable the sending of the content of the message and just send a notification saying

Hey, people are talking to you! You should join the chat to read your messages.

Or something like that, you get the idea :slight_smile:

Hi @toogy, can you help me understand why you want that?

i also thought about that one, could get handy sometimes. Perhaps an option PER CHANNEL?

a) E-Mail Notification right now:

CHANNEL: abc - 13:26 CET, March 21 "I LOVE YOU SO MUCH"

b) Option: [x] Disable Message Content in Email Notification

-> E-Mail Notification with Message Content disabled

CHANNEL: abc - 13:26 CET, March 21. Hey, people are talking to you! You should join the chat to read your messages.

For privacy. When you want to keep messages in mattermost only and don’t want them delivered to email servers over which you have no control!

I agree 100% on this, and it should be a global setting option.

I’m thinking about disabling email entirely, as people could be messaging sensitive information in MM that they would never want to be in some random email system that we have no control over.

end users don’t think about it, even though they should. If I just “DM you on mattermost” it will just stay there, and therefore is secure enough. the email containing the detail of a message is a problematic leak IMO.

@lfbrock : do you understand now? :slight_smile:

Is anyone planning on working on this? :slight_smile:

It would be great for me to re-enable email notifications! haha

I hope we aren’t the only two people who see how this is a huge security hole. It is honestly the only thing keeping me from rolling this out company wide.

Is there any feature request here on this issue for which I can upvote?

Thanks everyone for the feedback here!

@toogy, @githubkoma, @jimb, @Darya I encourage you to contribute the suggestion to our feature idea forum (I didn’t find an existing request), so it can be discussed, upvoted and considered for a ticket accepting pull requests?

Please include a link back to this forum thread so others know where to vote for feature. If you’re interested in implementing, please say so and we’ll prioritize the review.

You get 10 votes in the feature idea forum, and each one influences the future of the project.

I’ve added it here

I hope you all will upvote for it. As I’ve said, this is a problematic potential leak for our organization. One of the reasons MM is a good solution for us is that we would control its data. Sending these types of notices out via email potentially circumnavigates that control.

Thanks, I hope this can be addressed.

Thank you!