Mattermost, Inc.

Desktop App freezing when typing + notification

Summary

I’ve noticed across multiple mattermost-desktop 4.x versions that when I am in the middle of typing and someone from another channel messages me, the app will occasionally completely freeze for up to 30 seconds.

I’ve seen a similar report for Windows 10 users but that says it was fixed 2 years ago:

Steps to reproduce

I can’t reproduce it every time. But it always happens if I am in the middle of typing a message in the current channel, and then I receive a message and badger counter update from another channel.
This has occurred across multiple versions of mattermost-desktop 4.x, including 4.0.1, 4.1.2 and 4.2.0.
Ubuntu Linux 16.04

Expected behavior

I would expect the app not to completely freeze when other message notifications are received.

Observed behavior

Entire application will lock up for up to 30 seconds. Then suddenly it will catch up and flush the pending characters that I had typed, to the text box.

As a follow up to this issue, I have polled my colleagues on the problem and a number of them report the same experience, being related to the process of typing while a message is being delivered in another channel. No one is 100% the exact factors.

Hi @justinfx

Can you may try 4.3 RC0?

Thanks @JtheBAB
I’m having trouble building it from source on my work machine that is behind a firewall on a private network. I will happily test 4.3.0 if there is a linux amd64 deb?

I managed to get a build working of 4.3.0. Will test and report.

I haven’t seen this issue happen since I have been running the 4.3.0rc build. Hoping that really did fix it.

1 Like