Changing the browser front-end of Mattermost

Hello, I’m wondering whether it’s possible to change the web UI of Mattermost. For instance, if I want to add new effects or change icons of files/chats, etc., can it be done? If yes, does it involve recompilation? I understand that Mattermost uses React as the front-end, and I have no experience in it or is it possible to change views directly on an installed version?

I’m okay even if the answer is too broad and tells me to “go learn React first”. :slight_smile: But I’d really appreciate some guidance here.

Hi @ankush981

Thank you for your question!

At this stage, it isn’t possible to change the web UI of Mattermost using settings from within the software. You are able to change the font, theme and profile pic.

If you fork the branch to your own repo then, of course, you will then be able to make changes… If you’re looking for a more technical answer, let me know and I’ll ask one of our devs to assist!

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey @lindy65, thanks! That’s all I wanted to know for now. :slight_smile:

Thanks @ankush981! Let us know if there’s anything else we can help with!

How to correct the front end so that when issuing the next version of the mattermost not get a bunch of merge errors?
Ideally it would be if the files of the current front end did not have to be corrected at all, and the new frontend developed parallel.