Any tutorial of MM Docker installation on Synology?

We’d highly welcome contributions to Mattermost open source documentation based on the below information. If you’re interested in helping, please reply to this post?

I want to install the MatterMost on my synology by docker, but I found there is no tutorial for that.

I would also like to install Mattermost on my Synology via docker. Is there any manual available?

Hi albertvisuals and welcome to the Mattermost forums!

Unfortunately, I do not have a compatible synology at home - can you verify that yours is compatible?

Hello @agriesser,
Yes on my Synology docker is available.

OK, in this case, the normal Docker deploy instructions should be applicable, as long as the CPU architecture is compatible to the binaries.

I am not sure, as the install path on Synology are different. It would be really helpful to have a Synology-docker-compose file available. This could be run easily in Portainer. And install would be a breathe.
Would be great if this could be compiled.

I personally do, unfortunately, not have access to a Synology or QNAP NAS (both have been mentioned here in the forums already), so I can just offer my help if someone can give me access to such a thing :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help! Sadly I don’t have any development ones, just my production one, where I cannot give access due to legislations…

Marius hosting has a tone of Docker compose files for the synology on his website (sadly not mattermost), but maybe this could help to write one. E.g. How to Install Rocket.Chat on Your Synology NAS – Marius Hosting

The standard docker file path on synology lives under: /volume1/docker/

Hello

The difficulty for Synology users is to make understand the specifics that cause serious difficulties on this platform. (Which can be called “lack of empathy”!)
For starters, Docker is readily available on Synology platforms, it is a simple extension that installs and activates in two clicks.

Now that Docker is installed, (expert) developers … Will force you to use “docker-compose”: and that’s the drama.

The user will therefore seek to use “docker-compose”.
For this, you have to “just” (doing graduate studies in computer science would be “fairer” simpler) learn, install and use new software and protocols on Synology.
This is an aberration or an administrative formality for the computer expert, because he does not realize that he has digested it over years.

If your level in computer science is high enough.
You will discover that by installing the Putty software and connecting in SSH that:

To get started: Docker-Compose installed with the Synology package is outdated.
The available version is 1.2 potentially incompatible according to MatterMost’s documentation, PeerTube … because the necessary version is 2.3 not to mention the fact that the current version is 3.5.

The courage to continue to invest resources in this installation that may involve updating the docker-compose module of the docker package made available on Synology is discouraging, it is not motivating, exciting or desired.
The user wants to install MatterMost not have a degree in Docker and other deployment, software update.

There, a Karpman triangle is set up (it’s an unhealthy psychological game).
The user is placed as a victim, a savior will tell him “it’s easy, you just have to follow this tutorial …” unsuitable and too complex.

To sum up :

We (Synology users) need an installation procedure with the provided docker that includes an inoperable Docker-Compose without advanced computer studies, because it is inoperable or easily accessible as is if we show empathy.
If this requirement is beyond you, seems absurd, incomprehensible to you… this discussion space is not the right place to discuss it.

Because the subject remains how to install MatterMost on Synology with the Docker module provided on the Synology platform without using methods and practices claimed to be simple by experts who no longer understand the difficulties of a beginner.

Thank you to a person capable of true empathy to hear our message.

Bonjour,

La difficulté pour les utilisateurs Synology est de faire comprendre les spécificités qui provoquent de lourdes difficultés sur cette plateforme. (Que l'on peut nommer "manque d'empathie" !)
Pour commencer Docker est facilement disponible sur les plateformes Synology, c'est une simple extension qui s’installe et s'active en deux clics.

Maintenant que Docker est installé, des développeurs (experts) ... vont t'imposer d'utiliser "docker-compose" : et là, c'est le drame.

L'utilisateur va donc chercher à utiliser "docker-compose".
Pour cela, tu dois "juste" (faire des études supérieures en informatique serait plus "juste" plus simple) apprendre, installer et utiliser de nouveaux logiciels et protocoles sur Synology.
C'est une aberration ou une formalité administrative pour l'expert informaticien, car il ne réalise pas qu'il a digéré ça sur des années.

Si ton niveau en informatique est assez élevé.
Tu découvriras que en installant le logiciel Putty et en te connectant en SSH que :

Pour commencer : Docker-Compose installé avec le package Synology est obsolète.
La version disponible est 1.2 potentiellement incompatible selon la documentation de MatterMost, PeerTube ... car la version nécessaire est 2.3 sans parler du fait que la version actuelle est 3.5.

Le courage de continuer à investir des ressources dans cette installation qui va peut-être passer par la mise à jour du module "docker-compose" du package docker mis à disposition sur Synology est décourageante, elle n'est ni motivante, ni excitante, ni désiré.
L'utilisateur veux installer MatterMost pas avoir un diplôme en Docker et autre déploiement, mise à jour de logiciels.

Là, un triangle de Karpman se met en place (c'est un jeu psychologique malsain).
L'utilisateur est placé en victime, un sauveur va lui lancer "c'est facile, tu as qu'à suivre ce tuto ..." inadapté et trop complexe.

Pour résumer :

Nous (les utilisateurs Synology) avons besoin d’une procédure d’installation avec le docker fourni qui inclut un Docker-Compose inexploitable sans des études en informatique avancées, car il est inexploitable ou facilement accessible en l’état si on fait preuve d'empathie.
Si cette exigence vous dépasse, vous semble absurde, incompréhensible… cette espace de discussion n’est pas le bon endroit pour échanger là-dessus.

Car le sujet reste comment installer MatterMost sur Synology avec le module Docker fourni sur la plateforme Synology sans utiliser des méthodes et pratiques prétendues simples par des experts qui ne comprennent plus les difficultés d’un débutant.

Merci à une personne capable d’une empathie véritable d’entendre notre message.