A pipe symbol is added to links in the preview

Today I had the job to choose a certain type of DELL computer and then send the link to a colleague via Mattermost PC client.
He told me that a configuration window opened instead of the chosen product.

After a while we found out that Mattermost adds a “|” to the end of the URL, encoded as %7C. This makes the parameters invalid and so the main configuration screen is shown by the web site.
Original:
https://www.dell.com/de-de/work/shop/desktops-all-in-ones-pcs/optiplex-3070-small-form-factor/spd/optiplex-3070-desktop/s019o3070sff
Preview:
https://www.dell.com/de-de/work/shop/desktops-all-in-ones-pcs/optiplex-3070-small-form-factor/spd/optiplex-3070-desktop/s019o3070sff|

Server version: 5.21.0
Client version: 4.4.2

Why does this happen?

Regards
Thomas

Is this on Mac / Windows / Linux? Does it reproduce on desktop v4.5? Does it reproduce only on desktop app or also on webapp?

Hi Amy.
After upgrading the server and my client the error ist gone. Thanks for the hint.

Regards
Thomas

1 Like

BTW: Do you plan to make updates for the client kind of automatic with a popup?
Otherwise we have to update the client manually on all PCs every time.

Hello, @VincentVegas

That’s a good idea but from my perspective, it is very tricky since Mattermost Server in general is self hosted / behind the firewall. Unless it is connected to a Cloud service (which is not the case), the desktop client will be able to perform a check whenever a new version is released after it is launched on the desktop.

So, it requires a tiny bit of manual work but I would recommend you to watch the Mattermost Release Github page to keep yourself posted for new releases.

Good Morning.

I am not sure I understand you. Our clients run on Win10 machines with full access to the internet. They can check for a new version on your servers on every start of the PC or when a user logs in. Then they can display a prompt “New version found, do you want to update?”. That’s how our telephony clients do it. Of what importance is it wether the server runs locally or in a cloud?

Regards
Thomas

(Attachment 0xA79BA2B5672445F8.asc is missing)

Hi, @VincentVegas

Can you share how you configured the prompt on your end or is the suggestion that you are making to allow the machine running the desktop client to connect to our releases repository to check for the latest desktop app?

What I meant earlier is that Mattermost is ran in a self hosted controlled environment. While the version check feature is not something that is available just yet, it will be nice to have.

Exactly, check on the repository, that is my idea. If you can do that via a standard port it should be no problem.

(Attachment 0xA79BA2B5672445F8.asc is missing)

1 Like

Hi, @VincentVegas

Got it. I shared this suggestion to the desktop team and perhaps they can implement it in the future. Excellent idea and good discussion. :+1:

1 Like