Thanks for the tip BlueAnanas. I had tried that when trying to get platform (a.k.a mattermost) tool to work in v2.0. One of the devs had said this was a known problem fixed in 2.1 so I deleted the file I had downloaded previsouly assuming the correct one would be loaded on upgrade.
So I made the change as you suggested...fixed that bug but now I have another so...still no luck.
Command I executed is:
sudo -u mattermost ./mattermost -assign_role -team_name="MYNAME" -email="firstname.lastname@example.org" -role="system_admin" -config="/var/opt/gitlab/mattermost/config.json"
The error I get is:
EROR Failed to load system translations for 'en' attempting to fall back to 'en'
So far all the suggested workarounds seem to be doing just that...going around in circles. Patch "A" fixes symptom "B" but produces new bug "C" and so on.
I'm using an off-the-shelf GitLab / Mattermost omnibus installation so it is not as if I have been going off on my own path here.
I had hoped that v2.1 would fix the bug. The Mattermost dev seemed to feel he had a handle on it.
NOTE: I put the downloaded en.json file in the /opt/gitlab/embedded/bin directory where the tool resides. I assume that is the correct place to put it!